Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Out on the Prairie...


In 1866 my great-great grandparents travelled in the belly of a boat from Norway to Minnesota, via Quebec.  They settled in Lac Qui Parle County, and farmed there for a number of years before they started my family's slow crawl west.

Last week, this collage piece, called "Nebraska Prairie, 1916," made its way back to Minnesota to appear in an exhibition called Horizontal Grandeur, the National Prairie Art Exhibition, which is being held July 11 - October 28, 2003, at the Stevens County Historical Society and Museum in Morris, MN.  The exhibition was open to artists from the US and Canada who live in states or provinces with a prairie, and I'm pleased one of my pieces is making its way back across the prairie to where my family started out.  Here's a link

3 comments:

  1. So interesting so read about your familiy history - and congratulations to your exhibition!( What a pitty - the link doesn´t work on my computer ?!)
    I love your collage - as always - and I like the mixture of b&w and coloured images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, computers, love 'em and hate 'em! The link still works for me so maybe it's a browser issue or maybe American prairies are leery of German collage artists...? If you're still interested, the exhibit site is: http://www.stevenshistorymuseum.com/index.php/?page_id=269

    And thanks for visiting, Sabine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lynn, but the www-comsos isn´t well-disposed with me - the link still doesn´t function. I try next day

    ReplyDelete